src="http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1907/2938/200/IBT.jpg"

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

A Horse is a Horse is a Horse of Course

I never knew exactly what the official Teamster logo of two horses heads and a wagon wheel meant and still don't know today, but I think I have a pretty good guess given the symbology of those vivid images. But for Teamster Daddy's sake, I think I'll make up my own version of the brand identity and treat it like it's my personal coat of arms.

So let's talk about horses. Those fine equestrian beauties have always represented strength and independence, stubbornness and loyalty to me, among other things. Four good attributes that T-Daddy and T-Daughter have in common with our four legged friends.

And there's the term 'horse-sense' to think about. And come to think about it, pun intended, Teamster Daddy and T-Daughter had more than their share of keen intuition. They knew a problem when it was far out in the pasture in front or sneaking up from behind. And they were always ready to charge when the time was right and knew when to stay at the bank and wait it out when the creek was too deep to cross.

One of their most favorite things in the world was just plain ole' horsin' around. T-Daddy loved to play innocent practical jokes and T-daughter still does to this day. Now his type of horseplay was a bit different from hers. He was 6'2'' and would try to ride a tiny shetland pony while she liked to surprise family and friends when they least expected it.

T-Daddy was always up for a game of horseshoes and to this day, I can still see him pitch a ringer at Aunt V's farm where we kept our barnful of horses. (ThunderBolt Lightning Cloud and Topper, just to name a few. There were also ponies named Peanuts and Popcorn that T-Daddy brought home in the middle of a dark Teamster night He insisted that we name them right then and there and afterwards the T-girls could go for a ride.

But one of the most significant rides of my life came when Teamster Daddy placed me in a Western Saddle for the very first time at the ripe age of 5. He loved horses so much and so did I, until I actually got on one. Well, let me back track for a moment. T- Daddy made sure I loved horses by lifting me up and placing me in that saddle before I learned how to ride my bicycle.

The moment of my first horseback ride would become one of the biggest lessons and longest rides of my life. Because it taught me many things about strength, courage but most of all--perserverence. When T-Daddy put me on top of Clover's back, he was a big, white horse and much too tall and too many hands for a wee T-daughter.
But Teamster Daddy showed me how to handle him and hold the reins and the horn of the saddle.

In an instant, Teamster Daddy popped Clover on the rump with his big T-Daddy hands and I heard his voice calling out from behind. These few words I still hear to this day: "Now, Don't Be Afraid T-girl...Don't be afraid. Because you can do it! You can Ride!"

I started crying, sobbing and screaming and Clover threw me off his back high into the Teamster sky.

Then came the big moment when I thought T-Daddy would pick me up and cradle me in those huge Teamster arms and make it all better. No more horses, no more fear, no more riding. But instead, to my surprise, he picked me back up and put me right back in the saddle again. You guessed it: TO RIDE.

His big Teamster voice told me in no uncertain terms: "YOUNG LADY! GET BACK ON THAT HORSE AND RIDE".

So I did, and I cried again, but this time Clover didn't throw me. And the next thing I knew, I was having fun, flying up and down. Clover was running fast and his tail was swishing back and forth and I could RIDE! I was T-Daddy's Girl! Never was a horse-lovin' T-Daddy prouder than at that moment. Teamster Daughter could ride!

Several years later I wrote T-Daddy a song.It's my song about life. Yes, L-I-F-E. Everybody's got one...mine is called RIDE. I'll give you one chance to guess what it's about. Now when I think there's something I can't do, I just think of Teamster Daddy and ask what he might do.

How's that for Horsepower?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home